THE PEOPLE UPSTAIRS
THE PEOPLE UPSTAIRS – Spain, 2020, 82 min, Comedy
Director: Cesc Gay
Writer: Cesc Gay
Cast: Belén Cuesta, Javier Cámara, Alberto San Juan, Griselda Siciliani
Two couples explore the complexities of modern day relationships in this glamorous comedy that could be only compared to Paolo Genovese’s Perfect Strangers. The People Upstairs is an adaptation of Cesc Gay’s first play for the theatre.
Julio and Ana have been together for 15 years. They no longer look at each other or touch each other and they argue all the time. One evening, Ana invites the neighbours from upstairs to dinner. Salva and Laura are slightly younger, they have always treated Julio and Ana well since they moved into the building. Yet, the constant moaning and groaning coming from their apartment has caused even more arguing for their hosts. No one even suspects dinner will cause an emotional meltdown.
AWARDS AND NOMINATIONS
- 2021 Gaudi Award for Best Supporting Actor (Alberto San Juan)
- 2021 Gaudi Award Nominations for Best Lead Actor (Javier Cámara), for directing, for production design, for costumes, for screenplay, for sound and for best non-Catalonian film
- 2021 Goya Award for Best Supporting Actor (Alberto San Juan)
- 2021 Goya Award Nominations for Best Actor (Javier Cámara), Best New Actress (Griselda Siciliani), Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Film
- 2021 ASECAN Nominations for Best Film and Best Lead Actress (Belén Cuesta)
- 2021 CEC Award for Best Adapted Screenplay
- 2021 Monte Carlo Comedy Festival Jury Prize for Best Film and Best Actress (Griselda Siciliani)